Monday, November 22

on being thankful

a lot of my friends are updating their facebook statuses or blogs every day with things they are thankful for. i don't really like joining in facebook fads, you know like the 25 things list or putting where i like it as my status. instead of jumping right in, i wait awhile and then reluctently join in with everyone else in a i-don't-really-want-to-do-this-but-i-will-since-i-know-you-all-are-dying-to-know-what-i-think sort of way. so, in that vein of thought, here are some things that i'm thankful for at the moment.

i'm thankful for my kids. i am also thankful that they are growing up. i am also thankful for older moms that tell me that i can be thankful that they are growing up, instead of telling me that i should cherish every moment with them while they're little because this is the best time. because if this is the best time....well, shoot. i love my kids. i really am glad that i get to stay home with them. but they are exhausting. physically, emotionally, mentally exhausting. but they are growing up. and it is so fun to watch. like today, they just played outside while i did things around the house. i left the door open and checked on them about every two minutes, but they can play outside by themselves. both of them! which means i can actually clean and organize because they are not right by my side waiting to instantly destroy whatever progress i make. they actually play together some now, which is so cute. matthias mimics hiba's every move and she loves to lead him around, show him things, read to him, help him play. it's so sweet. and i am so glad we're past the baby stage and will be glad when we're past the toddler stage. but they are fun. i love them.

i'm thankful for my husband. he's great. i've realized this a lot lately. i'm thankful that God put us together and that we're a good match.

i'm thankful for friends. we've made some pretty great friends in little rock and it's neat to see how that's developed this year. we're finally making some friends together, instead of me having my mom friends and jason having his rugby friends. we've gotten to hang out with friends together a lot lately, which has been great. we've also gotten to see some old friends, which is always fun.

i'm thankful for home decor. kinda shallow, i know. but lately i've had time and energy to get some painting (thanks mom!) and decorating done and our house is actually looking more like a grown-up house and less like a college dorm room. it's less stressful to sit in my living room because my list of things to put on the wall or furniture to paint or fix is slowly getting smaller and i actually like the way my house is looking.

i'm thankful for this weird crazy nice weather. it's like 70 degrees outside right now. which means my kids can play outside, i can have the windows open, our gas and electric bills are crazy low. all around a good thing. unless this is all due to global warming, and then it's a bit on the disastrous side, but right now i love it.

i'm thankful for new boots. i finally gave into this skinny jean and boots look that seems to be all the rage. sometimes i feel like i look like my little sister (which is ok, since she's super cute, but i'm a little older than her and a mom, so i don't feel like i should look like i'm 19), but i have to say i like the look. plus the boots keep me warmer (you know, in the cold 50 degree weather we've had the last few nights....) and they're almost as comfy as flip-flops.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Too funny! I also recently got into the skinny jean/boot thing, as in just last week! I resisted for a long time since I didn't want to have to buy new jeans just to follow a trend. But now that I have done it, I really like the look!